Embarrassed By Your Teeth? Here’s What You Can Do

Emergency tooth extraction

Did you know that over 30% of people say that they’re concerned with the way their teeth look and almost 20% usually hide their teeth in pictures? Three-quarters of adults say that they think an unattractive smile can hurt their chances of success in their career. If you’re ashamed of your teeth, you don’t have to continue to feel bad about them! There are plenty of ways to improve the way your teeth look, from teeth whitening to veneers to other minor restorative dental work. You should also be paying attention to routine dental care to ensure that your teeth are staying healthy. This is especially important, given that according to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, almost 90% of adults between the ages of 20 and 64 have some type of decay in their permanent teeth. Let’s talk about ways you can improve the look of your teeth, such as the veneers process, and regular dental upkeep.

What Does the Veneers Process Consist Of?
Veneers are essentially shells that slip over the front of your teeth to make them look better. They can change the color and shape of your teeth, among other things. The veneers process usually requires at least three trips to the dentist — the first is a consultation and the last two are to create and then apply the veneers.

During your consultation, you’ll need to talk to your doctor about the end result you’re hoping for and your doctor will make sure that veneers are the right choice for you, based on your dental health and condition. At your second visit, your doctor will remove about a half millimeter of enamel from your teeth to get them ready for the veneer. A model of your teeth will then be sent to a dental lab so they can create your veneers.

The last visit will be the veneer application. Before they’re adhered to your teeth, your dentist will trim and size them to fit your teeth perfectly, and do some work on your teeth (cleaning, polishing, etching, etc.,) to make sure that the veneer bonds well.

What Can I Do to Ensure That I Have Healthy Teeth?

Brushing and flossing nightly is key to having healthy teeth. Brushing and flossing after every meal is the optimal situation, but often not practical for many people. Keep in mind that doing both is crucial — brushing only removes about 70% of plaque and flossing takes care of the remaining 30%, when done correctly.

You should also make sure that you’re visiting your dentist twice a year for regular cleanings, inspections, and check-ups. They’ll keep an eye on your dental health and monitor any issues they see coming — such as incoming wisdom teeth. Preventative dentistry is so important to keeping your teeth healthy, strong, and beautiful.

If you know that you have bad teeth genetically, consider limiting your intake of overly sugary foods or be extra conscious of brushing and flossing after consuming these foods.

What Are Other Cosmetic Improvements I Can Make to My Teeth?
Teeth whitening can be another great option if you’re not keen on the veneers process or you’re not eligible for it, but want stains removed or any yellowed teeth to be whiter. You can either visit a cosmetic dentist for this procedure, or try at home with teeth whitening kits that can be found in stores.

Braces or adult braces, like Invisalign, can be a good way to straighten your teeth if you’re anxious about crooked teeth. Remember that even after your braces come off, wearing a retainer at night can help keep them straight and even.

Cosmetic contouring is another option, to even out your teeth and even to improve the way your gums look! Crowns, bridges, and implants can also help fill out teeth or even replace missing teeth, to make you feel more confident about your smile.

You shouldn’t be embarrassed about your smile. Be joyful and confident in your smile with the help of cosmetic dentists and your family dentist and flash your pearly whites regularly.

Leave a Reply

Follow by Email